My Birth Story

Thursday, July 26, 2018

So Elodie is almost 10 weeks old and I thought my birth story was a good place to start for my first post back to blogging. I always enjoy reading how our little bundles of joy enter the world, so thought i would share mine whilst its still fresh in my mind.

It all started on May 14th 2018 at around 6:30pm. id just finished eating my dinner, when I started to feel tightening in my tummy, baring in mind id had absolutely no signs that labour was on its way, i didn't really think anything of it and thought that i was experiencing braxton hicks, again id not had any of these through my pregnancy. They were by no means painful but were slightly uncomfortable so after putting my little girl into bed i decided to have a bath. This was about an hour after id first started feeling the tightening. There i was just laying in the bath, catching up on my favourite Youtubers as I always did when I noticed the tightenings seemed to be coming more frequently. I decided to start timing them on my contraction app, to my surprise they were about 3-5 minutes apart and lasting no longer than a minute. my app was telling me to call the hospital to let them know. I screen shot the warning sent it to Craig, my partner and just laughed it off, ignored the warning and kept on timing them...


Suddenly they were coming every 2 minutes and lasting over 1 minute, again another warning from my app popped up telling me to get to hospital. This time I decided to listen to my app, got out the bath and called the labour ward I was wanting to give birth in. By this time it was about 10pm, yes I'd been in the bath for almost 3 hours but this wasn't usual for me. I do love a good bath. So after calling the ward and being told to come up, the tightening really started to ramp up and were quickly becoming quite painful and I was having to breath through them. I called my mum and told her she needed to get here quick, as she was watching my little girl for the night. My mum got here and off we went to the hospital, it was only a 15 minute drive but it seemed like the longest drive ever. We arrived at the hospital around 11pm and headed to the midwife led unit. By now I was praying I'd be dilated enough to not get sent home as I was needing the good stuff, gas and air! So we got taken to our room, and I was check by the midwife, and much to my delight I was 5cms dilated, I was honestly so happy to hear that, it meant I wouldn't be getting sent home and was well and result in labour. 

I'd decided on a water birth so the pool was ran and in I got. This was all in the space of about 15 minutes of arriving. After being in the pool for about 10 minutes I started to get pretty strong pressure, I can remember telling the midwife 'I just feel like I need to push' I don't think she took me seriously but did say if it continued she'd check to see what was happening. I don't really remember the time after any of this as I was just inhaling the gas and air like a crazy women to try get through the pain and everything was abit fuzzy. The urge to push was becoming more and more intense so I just went with my body and although I wasn't physically pushing, my body was doing it for me. The next thing I remember was my midwife saying 'Sabrina your baby's head is right there' much to my surprise I hadn't pushed or anything and my baby was right there and ready to be born. My body had done it all for me, all I'd done is breath through it. The midwife was very impressed with how controlled by breathing was. How incredible is the female body though?! The pain was a lot now but all I could think is I'm going to meet my baby soon. I continued breathing through every contraction as I had been doing, then my waters went although I was told after as I didn't feel them go. 

And 8 minutes after my beautiful baby girl entered the world it was 12.24am, she was placed onto my chest and I was instantly overwhelmed with a rush of love, the love you feel when you first hold your precious baby you've been growing for 9 months is indescribable, there's no words that would even come close to the feeling. So just over an hour after getting into the pool she was here, I was extremely shocked at how fast it had happened, but was relieved it was all over. I sat with her on my chest for a little while and then got out the pool where the midwife checked me. Luckily I'd escaped any major tears, and come away with just a little graze which didn't need stitching or anything. After the midwife had done all her checks on me and the baby I just sat with her on my chest. I'd decided I was going to breast feed so tried feeding and she latched right away so we spent the next hour just feeding on and off, I should have known then she was going to be a guzzler. I showered and got all ready to leave and then at about 10am were we allowed to go home. Within 12 hours I'd gone to be hospital, given birth and was back home. I couldn't have asked for a better birth, everything went exactly as I wanted and I couldn't be happier.

Elodie Mae, born 12.24am weighing 7lb10ozs
So that's how my little Elodie entered the world, My Birth Story.

You Might Also Like

0 comments